Friday, January 2, 2009

Poems

Just to flesh out more content for the blog, I'm going ahead and importing some of the poems I've written in the past year. Some I still edit and touch up from time to time, but I'll go ahead and post the ones I feel more confident about.

On Manhood, for Nicholas Ahrens Townsend

Stand.
You will have proven
That you may run
to the barren ends of cities unknown
to the edges of loneliness uncharted.
And you will be stronger--
more dense than wilting hearts
more giving than the turbulent tide
of those silent, icy nights
so many moons ago.

Embody, engulf
that growing flame of freedom
that sparkles in your moonlit eyes
that surges in tensed veins
now unprovoked

Will is the strongest of woods.
Sever your own branch
from cruel patriarch beguiling,
from his gnarled tree
of destitution, inspid silence

You are your own prophet
for you map your morality,
the amorphous shape of destiny,
in palms of a love brightened
by the ages of a darkness once cherished.

I am proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment