Thursday, January 1, 2009

For Mari Keiko

After much abuse of the Facebook Notes function, I have decided to try to make another blog to vent my creative jottings (and ventings) and also to spare my friends from constant floods of their Facebook updatelogs.

I dedicate the spirit of this blog to the characters of Mari Keiko Yonekawa and the female Zainichi Korean Author in Hoshino Tomoyuki's 2005 novel Saigo no Toiki (The Last Sigh, which I am in the middle of translating). In the novel, she cries in mourning for the death of a 2nd generation Zainichi Korean author who extinguishes her life in a mad dance of of written expression she can't quite control. The author simply couldn't help but write herself to death, despite having a restorative form of "dance" to which she devoted herself.

I still don't quite understand the two characters completely, and this is why they're always on my mind. Writing for me is almost always a restorative process. Unless I release the feelings on paper, I simply can't silence the inner storms that keep my mind churning and I can't see things with perspective. And I grow exponentially with the insight I gain. This is why I write, and this is also why I pray that I never "write myself out" by releasing myself at the rate that I'm growing as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment